Matthew D. Smyth, MD, FACS, FAAP
Professor of Neurological Surgery and Pediatrics
Director, Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery Program
Neurosurgeon, St. Louis Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Institute
Department of Neurosurgery
St. Louis Children's Hospital
Washington University School of Medicine
One Children's Place, Ste 4S20
St. Louis, Missouri 63110-1002
Pediatric neurosurgery, epilepsy, craniosynostosis, craniofacial surgery, brain tumors, neuro-endoscopy, chiari malformation, spina bifida, hydrocephalus, syringomyelia, neurofibromatosis, tuberous sclerosis, cortical dysplasia, minimally invasive laser ablation for epilepsy and brain tumors, minimally invasive robotic neurosurgery
Focal cortical cooling for epilepsy, cortical dysplasia, animal models of epilepsy, brain stimulation for epilepsy, genetic correlates of craniosynostosis. For more information, visit Dr. Smyth's lab.
BA, Neurobiology and Behavior, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York
MD, University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine
San Francisco, California
Intern, General Surgery
University of California, Irvine
School of Medicine
1996 - 1997
Resident, Neurological Surgery
University of California, Irvine
School of Medicine
July 1997- December 1997
Resident, Neurological Surgery
University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine
San Francisco, California
December 1997 – June 2001
Chief Resident, Neurological Surgery
University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine
San Francisco, California
Fellow, Pediatric Neurosurgery
Children’s Hospital, University of Alabama at Birmingham
2002 – 2003
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
Shriner's Hospital for Children - St. Louis
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
Mercy Hospital, Consulting Staff
Missouri, Alabama, California
American Board of Neurological Surgery (2005, recertified 2015)
American Board of Pediatric Neurological Surgeons (2006)
- Smyth MD, Kesslak JP, Cummings BJ and Cotman CW. Analysis of brain injury following intrahippocampal administration of beta-amyloid in streptozotocin-treated rats. Neurobiology of Aging 15(2):153-159; 1994.
- Smyth MD, Cribbs DH, Tenner AJ, Shankle WR, Dick M, Kesslak JP and Cotman CW. Decreased levels of C1q in cerebrospinal fluid of living Alzheimer patients correlate with disease state. Neurobiology of Aging 15(5):609-614; 1994.
- Smyth MD and Peacock WJ. The Surgical Treatment of Spasticity. Muscle & Nerve 23(2):153-63; 2000.
- Smyth MD, Pitts L, Jackler RK and Aldape KD. Metastatic spinal ependymoma presenting as a vestibular schwannoma. Case illustration. Journal of Neurosurgery 92(2 Suppl):247; 2000.
- Smyth MD, Horn BN, Russo C, and Berger MS. Intracranial Ependymomas of Childhood: Current Management Strategies. Pediatric Neurosurgery 33(3):138-150; 2000.
- Von Koch CS, Park TS, Steinbok P, Smyth MD and Peackock WJ. Selective Posterior Rhizotomy and Intrathecal Baclofen for the Treatment of Spasticity. Pediatric Neurosurgery 35:57-65; 2001.
- Smyth MD, Sneed PK, Ciricillo SF, Edwards MS, Wara WM, Larson DA, Lawton MT, Gutin PH and McDermott MW. Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Pediatric Intracranial Arteriovenous Malformations: The UCSF Experience. Journal of Neurosurgery 97:48-55; 2002.
- Karkar KM, Garcia PA, Bateman LM, Smyth MD, Barbaro NM, and Berger MS. Focal cooling suppresses spontaneous epileptiform activity without changing the cortical motor threshold. Epilepsia 43:932-935; 2002.
- Smyth MD, Barbaro NM and Baraban SC. Effects of antiepileptic drugs on induced epileptiform activity in a rat model of dysplasia. Epilepsy Research 50(3):251-264; 2002.
- Tubbs RS, Chambers MR, Smyth MD, Bartolucci AA, Bruner JP, Tulipan N and Oakes WJ. Late gestational intrauterine myelomeningocele repair does not improve lower extremity function. Pediatric Neurosurgery 38(3):128-132; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Salter G, and Oakes WJ. Anomalous traversement of the suprascapular artery through the suprascapular notch—an anatomical study. Medical Science Monitor 9(3):BR116-9; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD and Oakes WJ. Hemihypertrophy and the Chiari I malformation. Pediatric Neurosurgery 38(5):258-61; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP, Grabb PA and Oakes WJ. Life expectancy of ventriculosubgaleal shunt revisions. Pediatric Neurosurgery 38(5): 244-6; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP, Grabb PA and Oakes WJ. Atlantoaxial interlaminar distances in cervical flexion in children. Journal of Neurosurgery 98(3 Suppl.):271-274; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Wellons JC, Smyth MD, Bartolucci AA, Blount JP, Oakes WJ and Grabb PA. Children with growth hormone deficiency and Chiari I malformation: A morphometric analysis of the posterior cranial fossa. Pediatric Neurosurgery 38(6):324-8; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP, and Oakes WJ. Human horns: A Historical Review and Clinical Correlation. Neurosurgery 52(6):1443-8; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD and Oakes WJ. Chiari I Malformation and cloacal exstrophy: Report of a patient with both defects of blastogenesis. American Journal of Medical Genetics 119A(2):231-233;2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP, Grabb PA and Oakes WJ. Alternative uses for the subgaleal shunt in pediatric neurosurgery. Pediatric Neurosurgery 39(1):22-4; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD and Oakes WJ. Chiari I malformation and caudal regression syndrome: a previously unreported association. Clinical Dysmorphology 12(2):147-8; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, and Oakes WJ. Parietal foramina are not synonymous with giant parietal foramina. Pediatric Neurosurgery 39:216-217; 2003.
- Smyth MD, Tubbs RS, Bebin ME, Grabb PA and Blount JP. Complications of vagal nerve stimulation for epilepsy in the pediatric population. Journal of Neurosurgery 99(3):500-503, 2003.
- Smyth MD, Tubbs RS, Wellons III JC, Oakes WJ, Blount JP and Grabb PA. Endoscopic third ventriculostomy for hydrocephalus secondary to central nervous system infection or intraventricular hemorrhage in children. Pediatric Neurosurgery 39:258-263; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Salter G, Blount JP. Endoscopic corpus callosotomy: An animal study. Journal of Pediatric Neurology 1(1):25-28; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP and Oakes WJ. Cutaneous manifestations and the Chiari I malformation. Pediatric Neurology 29(3):250-2; 2003.
- Ammar K, Tubbs RS, Smyth, MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP, Salter G, and Oakes WJ. Anatomic Landmarks for the Cervical Portion of the Thoracic Duct. Neurosurgery 53(6): 1385-7; 2003.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP and Oakes WJ. Distances from the atlantal segment of the vertebral artery to the midline in children. Pediatric Neurosurgery 39:330-334, 2003.
- Smyth MD, Tubbs RS, Wellons JC, Oakes WJ. Efficacy of scheduled non-narcotic analgesics in children after suboccipital craniectomy. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 100:183-186, 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Doughty K, Smyth MD and Oakes WJ. Parietal Cephalocele. Pediatric Neurosurgery 40:37-8; 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Oakes WJ and Blount JP. Duplication of the Massa Intermedia in a Child. Pediatric Neurosurgery 40:42-3; 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC and Oakes WJ. Arachnoid veils and the Chiari I malformation. Journal of Neurosurgery: Spine 100: 465-7; 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Salter G, Doughty K, Blount JP. Eyebrow incision with supraorbital trephination for endoscopic corpus callosotomy: a feasibility study. Child’s Nervous System 20(3):188-91; 2004.
- Blount JP, Severson M, Atkins V, Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Grabb PA and Oakes JW. Sports and pediatric cerebrospinal fluid shunts: who can play? Neurosurgery 54 1190-8; 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Wellons JC and Oakes WJ. Intramedullary hemorrhage in a neonate after lumbar puncture resulting in paraplegia: a case report. Pediatrics 113(5):1403-5; 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Smyth MD, Dure LS, and Oakes WJ. Exclusive lower extremity mirror movements and diastematomyelia. Pediatric Neurosurgery 40(3), 132-5; 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Webb D, Smyth MD and Oakes WJ. Magnetic resonance imaging evidence of posterior pharynx denervation in pediatric patients with Chiari I malformation and absent gag reflex. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 101:21-4, 2004.
- Tubbs RS, Banks JT, Soleau S, Smyth MD, Wellons JC, Blount JP, Grabb PA and Oakes WJ. Complications of the ventriculosubgaleal shunt in pediatric neurosurgery. Child’s Nervous System 21:48-51, 2005.
- Rothman SM, Smyth MD, Yang XF, Peterson GP. Focal cooling for epilepsy: An alternative therapy that might actually work. Epilepsy and Behavior 7:214-221, 2005.
- Ashley WW, McKinstry RC, Leonard JR, Smyth MD, Lee BC, Park TS. Utility of rapid-sequence MRI for evaluation of hydrocephalus in children. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 103:124-130, 2005.
- Mangano FT, Menendez J, Leonard JR, Park TS, Smyth MD. Early programmable valve failure in pediatric hydrocephalus. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 103:501-507 2005.
- Burton J, Peebles G, Binder DK, Rothman SM, Smyth MD. Transcortical cooling inhibits hippocampal-kindled seizures in the rat. Epilepsia, 46:1881-1887, 2005.
- Mangano FT, Limbrick D, Leonard JR, Park TS, Smyth MD. Simultaneous image-guided and endoscopic navigation without rigid skull fixation: application in infants: technical case report. Neurosurgery 58 (4 Suppl 2) ONS-E377; discussion ONS-E377, 2006.
- Mangano FT, Menendez J, Smyth MD, Leonard JR, Park TS. Neurosurgical injuries associated with all-terrain vehicles in pediatric patients: A ten year experience at St. Louis Children’s Hospital. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 105(1):2-5, 2006.
- Smyth MD, Narayan P, Tubbs RS, Leonard J, Park TS, Grabb PA. Potential association of malignancy and repeat diagnostic CT in children with ventriculoperitoneal shunts: report of two cases. Journal of Pediatric Neurology 4(3):195-201, 2006.
- Smyth MD, Tennenbaum MJ, Kaufman C, Kane AA. ‘Clamshell Craniotomy’: a technique for previously uncorrected sagittal craniosynostosis in older children. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 105:245-51, 2006. (cover article)
- Johnston MJ Jr., Mangano FT, Ojemann JG, Park TS, Trevathan E, Smyth MD. Complications of invasive subdural grid and strip electrode monitoring at Saint Louis Children’s Hospital, 1994-2005. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 105:343-347, 2006.
- Smyth MD, Limbrick D, Ojemann JG, Zempel J, Robinson S, O'Brien DF, Saneto RP, Goyal M, Appleton RE, Park TS. Outcome following surgery for temporal lobe epilepsy in pre-adolescent children with hippocampal pathology: emphasis on mesial temporal sclerosis. Journal of Neurosurgery:Pediatrics, 106:205-210, 2007.
- Johnston J, Vyas N, Kane AA, Molter D, Smyth MD: Giant intracranial teratoma with epignathus in a neonate: Case report and review of the literature. Journal of Neurosurgery:Pediatrics, 106:232-236, 2007.
- Seto ML, Hing AV, Chang JC, Hu M, Kapp-Simon KA, Patel PK, Burton BK, Kane AA, Smyth MD, Hopper R, Ellenbogen RG, Stevenson K, Speltz ML, Cunningham ML. Isolated sagittal and coronal craniosynostosis associated with TWIST box mutations. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A, 143A: 678-686, 2007.
- Smyth MD, Klein E, Dodson WE, Mansur D: Radiosurgical posterior corpus callosotomy in a child with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome. Journal of Neurosurgery:Pediatrics, 106(4):312-315, 2007.
- Blackburn SL, Smyth MD. Hydrogel-induced cervico-medullary compression after posterior fossa decompression for Chiari malformation: Case report. Journal of Neurosurgery:Pediatrics, 106(4):302-304, 2007.
- Refai D, Perrin R, Smyth MD: Iatrogenic intraspinal epidermoid cyst: Case illustration. Journal of Neurosurgery:Pediatrics, 106(4):32, 2007.
- O’Brien DF, Farrell M, Delanty N, Traunecker H, Perrin R, Smyth MD and Park TS. The Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Dysembryoplastic Neuroepithelial Tumours. British Journal of Neurosurgery, 21 (6):539-49, 2007.
- Shah M, Smyth MD, Woo A. Adverse facial edema associated with off-label use of rh-BMP-2 in cranial reconstruction for craniosynostosis: case report. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 1:255-257, 2008.
- Smyth MD, Narayan P, Tubbs RS, Leonard JR, Park TS, Loukas M, Grabb PA. Cumulative diagnostic radiation exposure in children with ventriculoperitoneal shunts: a review. Child’s Nervous System 24(4):493--7, 2008.
- Schalk G, Miller KJ, Anderson NR, Wilson JA, Smyth MD, Ojemann JG, Moran DW, Wolpaw JR, Leuthardt EC. Two-dimensional movement control using electrocorticographic signals in humans. Journal of Neural Engineering 5:75-84, 2008.
- Johnston JM, Vaishnavi SN, Smyth MD, He BJ, Zhang DY, Zempel JM, Shimony JS, Snyder AZ, Raichle ME. Loss of resting interhemispheric functional connectivity after complete section of the corpus callosum. Journal of Neuroscience 18;28(25):6453-8, 2008.
- Reynolds MR, Blackburn SL, Smyth MD. Ossified pseudomeningocele following Chiari decompression in a patient with Kleeblattshädel deformity: Case report and review of the literature. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 2:203-06, 2008.
- He BJ, Snyder AZ, Zempel JM, Smyth MD, Raichle ME. Electrophysiological correlates of the brain’s intrinsic large-scale functional architecture. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 105(41):16039-44, 2008.
- Miller, JH, Limbrick DL, Callen M, Smyth, MD. Spontaneous resolution of type I Chiari malformation in monozygotic twins. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 2:317-19, 2008.
- Wisneski KJ, Anderson NR, Blakely TM, Schalk G, Smyth MD, Morrisey M, Zempel J, Dowling J, Moran DW, Leuthardt EC. The unique cortical physiology associated with ipsilateral hand movements and neuroprosthetic implications. Stroke, 39(12):3351-9, 2008.
- Behdad A, Limbrick DL, Bertrand M, Smyth MD: Epilepsy surgery in children with seizures arising from the Rolandic cortex. Epilepsia, 50(6):1450-61, 2009.
- Smyth MD. Acute ventriculoperitoneal shunt malfunction following opening of the spinal subarachnoid space. Child’s Nervous System, 25:601, 2009.
- Gerlach DJ, Gurnett CA, Limpaphyayom N, Alaee F, Zhang Z, Porter KR, Kirchofer ML, Smyth MD, Dobbs MB: Early results of the Ponseti method for the treatment of clubfoot associated with myelomeningocele. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Am, 91:1350-9, 2009.
- Limbrick DD, Narayan P, Powers AK, Johnston J, Ojemann JG, Park TS, Bertrand M, Smyth MD. Hemispherotomy: efficacy and analysis of seizure recurrence. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 4:323-332, 2009.
- Zhang D, Johnston JM, Fox MD, Leuthardt E, Grubb RL, Chicoine MR, Smyth MD, Snyder AZ, Raichle ME, Shimony JS. Preoperative sensorimotor mapping in brain tumor patients using spontaneous fluctuations in neuronal activity imaged with fMRI: Initial experience. Neurosurgery, 65:226-36, 2009.
- Lee A, Van Pelt A, Smyth MD, Pilgram TK, Govier DP, Woo A, Kane AA. Comparison of perceptions and treatment practices between neurosurgeons and plastic surgeons for infants with deformational plagiocephaly. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 5(4) 368-74, 2010 (cover article).
- Limbrick DD, Mathur A, Munro R, Johnston JM, Inder T, Park TS, Leonard JR, Smyth MD. Neurosurgical treatment of progressive post-hemorrhagic ventricular dilatation in preterm infants: a 10-year single-institution study. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 6:224-230, 2010.
- Jalilian, L, Johnston JM, Limbrick DL, Munro B, Powers AK, Smyth MD. Complete vs. anterior 2/3rd corpus callosotomy in children: analysis of outcome. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 6:257-266, 2010.
- Mefford HC, Shafer N, Antonacci F, Tsai JM, Park S, Hing AV, Rieder MJ, Smyth MD, Speltz ML, Eichler EE, Cunningham ML. Copy number variation analysis in single suture craniosynostosis: multiple rare variants including RUNX2 duplication in two cousins with metopic craniosynostosis. Am J Med Genet A. Sep;152A(9):2203-10, 2010.
- Mansur DB, Rubin JB, Kidd EA, Perry A, King AA, Hollander AS, Smyth MD, Limbrick DD, Park TS, Leonard JR. Radiation therapy for pilocytic astrocytomas of childhood. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology and Physics, 79:829-34, 2011.
- Magge SN, Smyth MD, Governale LS, Goumnerova L, Madsen J, Munro B, Nalbah SV, Proctor M, Scott RM, Smith ER. Idiopathic syrinx in the pediatric population: A combined center experience. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 7:30-36, 2011.
- Perkins, SM, Rubin JB, Leonard JR, Smyth MD, El-Naqa I, Michalski JM, Simpson JR, Limbrick DL, Park TS, Mansur DB. Glioblastoma in Children: A single institution experience. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology and Physics, 80: 1117-21, 2011.
- Chicoine MR, Lim CCH, Evans JA, Singla A, Zipfel GJ, Rich KM, Dowling JL, Leonard JR, R, Smyth MD, Santiago P, Leuthardt EC, Limbrick DD, Dacey RG. Implementation and Preliminary Clinical Experience with the Use of Ceiling Mounted Mobile High Field Intraoperative Magnetic Resonance Imaging Between Two Operating Rooms. Acta Neurochirurgica Supplementum, 109:07-102, 2011.
- Dorward I, Titus JB, Limbrick D, Johnston JM, Bertrand ME, Smyth MD: Extratemporal, nonlesional epilepsy in children: postsurgical clinical and neurocognitive outcomes. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics: 7:179-188, 2011.
- Yarborough C, Powers AK, Limbrick DD, Park TS, Leonard JR, Smyth MD. Type I Chiari malformation patients presenting with acute neurologic deficits: Case series and review of the literature. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 7:244-7, 2011.
- Roland J, Miller K, Freudenburg Z, Sharma M, Smyth M, Gaona C, Breshears J, Corbetta M, Leuthardt E. Effect of age on human motor cortical electrophysiology. Journal of Neural Engineering, 8(4):046013, 2011.
- Chern JJ, Tubbs RS, Patel AJ, Gordon AS, Bandt SK, Smyth MD, Jea A, Oakes WJ. Preventing Cerebrospinal Fluid Leak Following Transection of a Tight Filum. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 8(1):35-8, 2011.
- Breshears JD, Gaona CM, Roland JL, Sharma M, Bundy DT, Freudenburg ZV, Zempel J, Limbrick DD, Smyth MD, Smart WD, Leuthardt EC. Decoding Motor Signals from Pediatric Cortex – Implications for Brain-Computer Interfaces in Children. Pediatrics 128(1)e:160-8, 2011.
- Pizoli CE*, Shah MN*, Snyder AZ, Shimony JS, Limbrick DL, Raichle ME, Schlaggar BL, Smyth MD. Resting State Activity in the Development and Maintenance of Normal Brain Function. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108:11638-43, 2011.
- Shah MN, Petersen DJ, Naidoo S, Woo AS, Kane AA, Smyth MD. Endoscopically-assisted vs. open repair for sagittal craniosynostosis: The St. Louis Children’s Hospital experience. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 8:165-170, 2011.
- Smyth MD, Rothman SM. Focal cooling devices for the surgical treatment of epilepsy. Neurosurgery Clinics of North America, 22:533-46, 2011.
- Kasasbeh A, Steger-May K, Yarborough C, Limbrick DL, Smyth MD. Characterization of the supplementary motor syndrome after medial frontal lobe resections in pediatric epilepsy surgery. Neurosurgery, 70(5):1152-68, 2012.
- Chuen-im P, Smyth MD, Segura B, Ferkol T, Rivera-Spoljaric K. Recurrent pleural effusion without intrathoracic migration of ventriculoperitoneal shunt catheter: A case report. Pediatric Pulmonology, 47:91-5, 2012.
- Creach KM, Rubin JB, Leonard JR, Limbrick DD, Smyth MD, Dacey RG, Rich KM, Dowling JL, Grubb R, King AA, Michalski JM, Park TS, Perry A, Simpson JR, Mansur DB. Oligodendrogliomas in children. Journal of Neuro-oncology, 106:377-82, 2012.
- Shah MN, Leonard JR, Inder G, Feng G, Haydon D, Omodon M, Evans J, Morales D, Dacey RG, Park TS, Smyth MD, Chicoine MR, Limbrick DD. Intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging reduces the rate of early reoperation for lesion resection in pediatric neurosurgery. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 9:259-64, 2012.
- Ciliberto M, Powers AK, Limbrick DL, Titus J, Munro B, Smyth MD: Palliative functional hemispherotomy in patients with bilateral seizure onset. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 9:381-88, 2012.
- Mohammed H, Steger-May K, Kaufman C, Weisenberg J, Munro B, Rothman SM, Grubb R, Limbrick DL, Smyth MD: Impact of epilepsy surgery on seizure control and quality of life: A 26-year follow-up study. Epilepsia 53(4):712-720, 2012.
- Kasasbeh A, Hwang E, Steger-May K, Bandt S, Oberhelman A, Limbrick DD, Miller-Thomas M, Shimony J, Smyth MD. Association of magnetic resonance imaging identification of mesial temporal sclerosis with pathological diagnosis and surgical outcomes in children following epilepsy surgery. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 9:552-61, 2012.
- Beaumont T, Limbrick DL, Smyth MD. Advances in the management of subependymal giant cell astrocytoma (SEGA). Childs Nervous System 28(7):963-8, 2012.
- Vogel T, Smyth MD. Epilepsy Surgery: Justified Enthusiasm? Future Neurology, 7(4) 371-74, 2012.
- D’Ambrosio R, Eastman CL, Darvas F, Fender JS, Verley DR, Farrin FM, Wilkerson HW, Miller J, Ojemann J, Rothman SR, Smyth MD. Mild passive focal cooling prevents epileptic seizures after head injury in rats. Annals of Neurology, 73(2): 199-209, 2013.
- Murphy RKJ, Reynolds MR, Smyth MD. Gamma Knife radiosurgery for a hemangioma of the cavernous sinus in a child. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 11(1):74-8, 2013.
- Akbari SH, Limbrick DL, Kim DH, Narayan P, Leonard JR, Smyth MD, Park TS. Surgical management of symptomatic Chiari II malformation in infants and children. Child’s Nervous System, 2013, Feb 7 [Epub ahead of print].
- Hawasli A, Haydon D, Limbrick DL, Smyth MD. Pontine Extraventricular Neurocytoma in a Child. Pediatric Neurosurgery 48(5) 319-23, 2012.
- Titus J, Lee A, Kasesbah A, Thio LL, Stephenson J, Steger-May K, Limbrick DD, Smyth MD. Health-related quality of life before and after pediatric epilepsy surgery: The influence of seizure outcome on changes in physical functioning and social functioning. Epilepsy and Behavior, Jun 27(3):477-483, 2013.
- Hawasli AH, Buckley RT, Gao F, Limbrick DD, Smyth MD, Leonard JR, Santiago P, Stewart TJ, Park TS, Grubb RL, Dowling JL, Leuthardt EC, Rich KM, Zipfel GZ, Dacey RG, Chicoine MC. Biopsy of the superficial cortex: Predictors of effectiveness and outcomes. Neurosurgery, Aug; 73(2): 224-32, 2013.
- Kasesbeh A, Yarbrough C, Bertrand M, Morrissey M, Smyth MD, Limbrick DD. Outcomes following anterior or complete corpus callosotomy in children. Neurosurgery, 74(1):17-28, 2014.
- Kasesbah A, Limbrick DL, Gurnett C, Smyth MD. Palliative epilepsy surgery in Aicardi syndrome: A case series and review of the literature. Child’s Nervous System, August 16, 2013. [Epub ahead of print].
- Yarbrough CK, Smyth MD, Patel KB, Huang A, Ranalli NJ, Kane AA, Woo AS. Delayed synostoses of uninvolved sutures after surgical treatment of non-syndromic synostosis. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 25(1):119-23, 2014.
- Godzik J, Kelly MP, Radmanesh A, Kim B, Holekamp T, Smyth MD, Lenke LG, Park TS, Leonard J, Limbrick DD. Relationship of syrinx size and tonsillar descent to spinal deformity in Chiari I malformation with associated syringomyelia. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, 2014 Feb 14 [Epub ahead of print].
- Vogel T, Woo A, Patel K, Kane A, Naidoo S, Smyth MD. A comparison of costs associated with endoscope-assisted strip craniectomy and open cranial repair for infants with sagittal synostosis. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 13:324-31, 2014.
- Greenberg JK, Stoev IT, Park TS, Smyth MD, Leonard JR, Leonard JC, Pineda J, Limbrick DD. Management of children with mild traumatic brain injury and intracranial hemorrhage. Journal of Trauma Acute Care Surgery, 76(4): 1089-95, 2014.
- Haydon DH, Dahiya S, Smyth MD, Limbrick DD, Leonard JR. Greater extent of resection improves ganglioglioma recurrence-free survival in children: A volumetric analysis. Neurosurgery 75:37-42, 2014.
- Ghosh T, Skolnick G, Patel K, Smyth MD, Woo A. Calvarial thickness and diploic space development in children with sagittal synostosis as assessed by computed tomography. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, May 25(3): 1050-5, 2014.
- Potts MB, Sheth SA, Louie J, Smyth MD, Sneed PK, McDermott MW, Lawton MT, Young WL, Hetts SW, Fullerton HJ, Gupta N. Stereotactic Radiosurgery Using a Low Marginal Dose for the Treatment of Pediatric Arteriovenous Malformations: Obliteration, Complications, and Functional Outcomes. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 14:1-11, 2014.
- Russel A, Skolnick GB, Patel K, Woo A, Smyth MD. The path of the superior sagittal sinus in unicoronal synostosis. Child’s Nervous System, 30 (10), 1701-1709, 2014.
- Le M-B, Woo A, Patel K, Skolnick G, Naidoo S, Smyth MD. Assessing long-term outcomes of open and endoscopic sagittal synostosis reconstruction using three-dimensional photography. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, 25:573-6, 2014.
- Yarbrough CK, Greenberg JK, Smyth MD, Leonard JR, Park TS, Limbrick DD. External validation of the Chicago Chiari Outcome Scale. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics 13:679-84, 2014.
- Liu B, Murphy RKJ, Mercer D, Tychsen L, Smyth MD. Pseudopapilledema and association with idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Child’s Nervous System 30(7) 1197-1200, 2014.
- Purusothaman V, Ryther R, Bertrand M, Harker L, Jeffe DB, Wallendorf M, Smyth MD, Limbrick DD. Developing the pediatric refractory epilepsy questionnaire: A pilot study. Epilepsy and Behavior 37:26-31, 2014.
- Lee A, Yarbrough CK, Greenberg J, Barber J, Limbrick DD, Smyth MD. Comparison of posterior fossa decompression with or without duraplasty in children with Type I Chiari malformation. Child’s Nervous System 30:1419-24, 2014.
- Kamath AA, Limbrick DD, Smyth MD. Characterization of postoperative fevers after hemispherotomy. Child’s Nervous System, 31:291-6, 2015.
- Greenberg JK, Milner E, Yarbrough CK, Lipsey K, Piccirillo JF, Smyth MD, Park TS, Limbrick DD. Outcome methods used in clinical studies of Chiari Type I Malformation: a Systematic Review. Journal of Neurosurgery, 122:262-72, 2015.
- Nguyen DC, Naidoo SD, Skolnick GS, Kane AA, Woo AS, Patel KB, Smyth MD. Endoscopic-assisted treatment of sagittal craniosynostosis and calcified cephalohematoma. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery 25:2127-9, 2014.
- Smyth MD, Han RH, Rothman SM, Yarbrough CK, Patterson EE, Yang XF, Miller JW, D’Ambrosio R. Temperatures achieved in human and canine neocortex during intraoperative passive or active focal cooling. Accepted with revisions, Therapeutic Hypothermia and Temperature Management, 2015 Apr 22 [Epub ahead of print].
- Akbari HS, Murphy TM, Holekamp T, Leonard JR, Park TS, Smyth MD, Limbrick DD. Surgical management of complex multiloculated hydrocephalus in infants and children. Child’s Nervous System, 31:243-9, 2015.
- Greenberg JK, Yarbrough CK, Radmanesh A, Godzik J, Yu M, Piccirillo JF, Smyth MD, Park TS, Limbrick DD. The Chiari Severity Index: a preoperative staging system for Chiari Malformation Type 1. Neurosurgery 76:279-8, 2015.
- Greenberg JK, Ladner TR, Olsen MA, Shannon CN, Lie E, Yarbrough CK, Piccirillo JF, Wellons JC, Smyth MD, Park TS, Limbrick DD. Complications and resource utilization associated with surgery for Chiari malformation type 1 in adults: A population perspective. Neurosurgery, 2015 Apr 23 [Epub ahead of print].
- Greenberg JK, Ladner TR, Olsen MA, Shannon CN, Lie E, Yarbrough CK, Piccirillo JF, Wellons JC, Smyth MD, Park TS, Limbrick DD. Validation of an ICD-9 Code Algorithm for Identifying Chiari Malformation Type 1 Surgery in Adults. Neurosurgery, 2015 Apr 27 [Epub ahead of print]
- Zubovic E, Woo AS, Skolnick GB, Naidoo SD, Smyth MD, Patel KB. Cranial base and posterior cranial vault asymmetry after open and endoscopic repair of isolated lambdoid craniosynostosis. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, In press, April 2015.
- Ghenbot R, Patel K, Skolnick G, Naidoo SD, Smyth MD, Woo AS. Effects of open and endoscopic surgery on skull growth and cranial vault volumes in sagittal synostosis. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, Jan 26(1): 161-164, 2015.
- Nguyen D, Smyth MD, Skolnick G, Woo A, Patel K. Are endoscopic and open treatments of metopic synostosis equivalent in treating trigonocepehaly and hypotelorism? Journal of Craniofacial Surgery, Jan 26(1), 129-134, 2015.
- Radmanesh A, Greenberg J, Chatterjee A, Smyth MD, Limbrick DD, and Sharma A. Tonsillar pulsatility before and after surgical decompression in children with Chiari malformation type 1: An application for True Fast imaging with steady state precession. Neuroradiology, 57:387-93, 2015.
- Beaumont T, Godzik J, Dahiya S, Smyth MD. Subependymal giant cell astrocytoma in the absence of tuberous sclerosis. In press, Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics, January 2015.
- Dvoracek LA, Skolnick GB, Naidoo S, Smyth MD, Woo AS, Patel KB. Comparison of traditional vs normative cephalic index in patients with sagittal synostosis: Measure of scaphocephaly and postoperative outcome. In press, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, February 2015.
- Park SS, Beyer RP, Smyth MD, Clarke CM, Timms AE, Bammler TK, Stamper BD, Mecham BH, Gustafson JA, Cunningham ML. Osteoblast differentiation profiles define sex specific gene expression patterns in craniosynostosis. Bone, 76:169-76, 2015. 2015.
- Peacock WJ and Smyth MD. Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy for Spasticity of the Peripheral Nervous System. Textbook of Neurological Surgery – Principles and Practice, HH Batjer, CM Loftus, TH Weinzerl (eds), Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, PA, 2002.
- Smyth MD and Peacock WJ. Spasticity. Encyclopedia of the Neurological Sciences, Aminoff MJ and Daroff RB (eds), Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 2003.
- Zakhary R, Smyth MD and Peacock WJ. Dorsal Rhizotomy for Spasticity. Handbook of Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery, M Schulder (ed), Marcel Dekker, Inc., New York, NY, Feb 2003.
- Horn BN and Smyth MD. Ependymoma. Pediatric CNS Tumors, Gupta N, Banerjee A, Haas-Kogan D (eds), Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg Germany, 2004.
- Ojemann SG, Smyth MD, and Peacock WJ. Functional Neurosurgery in the Child. Handbook of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Frim DM and Gupta N (eds), Landes Bioscience, Georgetown TX, 2006.
- Johnston JM, Smyth MD, McKinstry RC. Basics of Neuroimaging in Pediatric Epilepsy. Pediatric Epilepsy: Diagnosis and Therapy, Third Edition. Pellock, Dodson, Bourgeois, Nordli, Sankar (eds), 2008.
- Shah MM, Smyth MD. Increased intracranial pressure. American Academy of Pediatrics Textbook of Pediatric Care, 5th edition. McInerny TK (ed). Chapter 352. American Academy of Pediatrics Department of Publications, 2008.
- Limbrick DD, Smyth MD. Vagal Nerve Stimulation. Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery: Preoperative Assessment and Surgical Treatment. Catalepe O, Jallo G (eds). Thieme Publishers, 2010.
- Smyth MD, Horn BN, Rubin J. Ependymoma. Pediatric CNS Tumors, second edition. Gupta N, Banerjee A, Haas-Kogan D (eds), Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg Germany, 2010.
- Johnston JM, Smyth MD. Corpus callosotomy. Anterior and Complete. Essential Techniques in Operative Neurosurgery. Jandial R, McCormick P, Black P (eds). 2011.
- Smyth MD, Marchac D, Renier D: Syndromic Craniosynostosis: Open Surgery. Youman’s Textbook of Neurological Surgery, 6th edition. Winn HR (ed). Elsevier, 2011.
- Ojemann JG, Smyth MD, Schramm J. Mapping, Disconnection and Resective Surgery in Childhood Epilepsy: A Comprehensive Overview. Schmidek & Sweet. Operative Neurosurgical Techniques, 6th edition, 2012.
- Smyth MD, Vogel T. Extratemporal Epilepsy Surgery. Principles and Practice of Pediatric Neurosurgery, Third edition. Albright, Pollack, Adelson (eds), Thieme, in press, 2013.
- Shah MM, Smyth MD. Increased intracranial pressure. American Academy of Pediatrics Textbook of Pediatric Care, 6th edition. McInerny TK (ed). Chapter 354. American Academy of Pediatrics Department of Publications, in press, 2013.
- Smyth MD, Kasesbeh A. Palliative Surgical Procedures for Epilepsy. Pediatric Neurosurgery: Tricks of the Trade. Cohen A (ed). Thieme, NY, in press, 2013.
- Beaumont TL, Smyth MD. Corpus Callosotomy. 100 Case reviews in neurosurgery, First Edition. Jandial, Chen and Aizenberg (eds). In press, 2014.
- Dlouhy B, Smyth MD, Limbrick DD. Post-traumatic epilepsy in children: surgical evaluation and treatment.
- Roland J, Smyth MD. Vagal Nerve Stimulation. Masters of Neurosurgery, Samandouras (ed), 2015.