Joshua W. Osbun, MD
Assistant Professor, Neurological Surgery
Assistant Professor, Radiology
Assistant Professor, Neurology
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Neurological Surgery
660 S. Euclid Avenue
Campus Box 8057
St. Louis, Missouri 63110
Administrative Office: 314-747-6141
Patient Appointments: 314-362-3577
Open surgical and endovascular treatment of cerebrovascular disease and complex tumors of the skull base. Special expertise in clipping, coiling and flow diversion for brain aneurysms; surgical resection and embolization of brain arteriovenous malformations and dural arteriovenous fistulas; surgical treatment of cavernous malformation, meningioma, and moya-moya disease; carotid stenting and carotid endarterectomy for carotid artery stenosis; and mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischemic stroke.
Clinical outcome measures in the surgical, endovascular and medical treatment of cerebrovascular disease. New device development and evaluation for use in interventional neuroangiography techniques.
BA, Chemistry & English Literature
Magna Cum Laude
Texas A & M University
College Station, Texas
1999 - 2002
MD, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Alpha Omega Alpha
2003 – 2007
Resident, Neurological Surgery
University of Washington
2007 – 2014
Specialist Registrar in Neurosurgery
Atkinson Morley & St. George’s Hospital
London, United Kingdom
2010 – 2011
Fellow, Cerebrovascular & Interventional Neuroradiology,
Departments of Neurosurgery & Interventional Neuroradiology
2014 – 2016
St. Louis Children’s Hospital
- Levitt MR, Osbun JW, Kim LJ. The pharmacogenomics of clopidogrel. World Neurosurg. Mar-Apr 2012;77(3-4):406-407.
- Osbun JW, Ellenbogen RG, Chesnut RM, et al. A multicenter, single-blind, prospective randomized trial to evaluate the safety of a polyethylene glycol hydrogel (Duraseal Dural Sealant System) as a dural sealant in cranial surgery. World Neurosurg. Nov 2012;78(5):498-504.
- Osbun JW, Kim LJ. Comment. Neurosurgery. Oct 2012;71(4):875-876.
- Levitt MR, Osbun JW, Ghodke BV, Kim LJ. Radiation dose reduction in neuroendovascular procedures. World Neurosurg. Dec 2013;80(6):681-682.
- Levitt MR, Osbun JW, Kim LJ. Intracranial pressure monitoring in severe traumatic brain injury. World Neurosurg. May-Jun 2013;79(5-6):600-601.
- Osbun JW, Kim LJ, Spetzler RF, McDougall CG. Aberrant venous drainage pattern in a medial sphenoid wing dural arteriovenous fistula: a case report and review of the literature. World Neurosurg. Dec 2013;80(6):e381-386.
- Osbun JW, Kim LJ. Internal carotid artery stenting for intracranial atherosclerosis. Methodist Debakey Cardiovasc J. Oct-Dec 2014;10(4):245-250.
- Levitt MR, Osbun JW, Nerva JD, Kim LJ. Endovascular treatment of complex dural arteriovenous fistula using the dual-microcatheter technique. Neurosurg Focus. Jul 2014;37(1 Suppl):1.
- Peterson E, Hanak B, Morton R, Osbun JW, Levitt MR, Kim LJ. Are aneurysms treated with balloon-assisted coiling and stent-assisted coiling different? Morphological analysis of 113 unruptured wide-necked aneurysms treated with adjunctive devices. Neurosurgery. Aug 2014;75(2):145-151; quiz 151.
- Sekhar LN, Tariq F, Osbun J. Far lateral and far medial approaches to the foramen magnum: microsurgery or endoscopy? World Neurosurg. Feb 2014;81(2):283-284.
- Nerva JD, Morton RP, Levitt MR, Osbun JW et al. Pipeline Embolization Device as primary treatment for blister aneurysms and iatrogenic pseudoaneurysms of the internal carotid artery. J Neurointerv Surg. Mar 2015;7(3):210-216.
- Osbun JW and Kim LJ. Comment on Konczalla J, Platz J, Brawanski N, et al. Endovascular and surgical treatment of internal carotid bifurcation aneurysms: comparison of results, outcome, and mid-term follow-up. Neurosurgery. May 2015;76(5):540-550; discussion 550-541.
- Osbun JW, Cawley CM, and Barrow DL. Comment on Thomas AJ, Chua M, Fusco M, et al. Proposal of Venous Drainage-Based Classification System for Carotid Cavernous Fistulae With Validity Assessment in a Multicenter Cohort. Neurosurgery. Sep 2015;77(3):380-385; discussion 385.
- Roy A*, Grossberg JA*, Osbun JW, Howard BM, Skukalek SL, Tong F, Dion JE, Cawley CM: Cavernous Carotid Fistula After Pipeline Placement: A Single Center Experience and Review of The Literature. JNIS (Accepted 2016)