Ian G. Dorward, MD
Assistant Professor, Neurological Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery
Washington University School of Medicine
Department of Neurological Surgery
Campus Box 8057, 660 S. Euclid Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63110
Administrative Office: 314-747-6142
Patient Appointments: 314-362-3577
Spinal oncology and spinal column tumors, microsurgery of the brain and spine (spinal cord tumors, spinal vascular malformations, brain aneurysms and brain arteriovenous malformations), minimally invasive spinal decompression and reconstruction surgery, complex spinal deformities ( scoliosis, kyphosis, spondylolisthesis, sagittal imbalance), cervical spine and craniocervical junction disorders.
Outcomes and value assessment in neurosurgery, evaluation of the role of the vestibular system in the development of spinal deformity, and innovations in patient safety. Other interests include narrative medicine (fiction and nonfiction writing related to medicine), particularly focusing on the process of training and developing surgeons, and how the transformation from layperson to surgeon impacts one’s ability to relate to patients, as well as to one’s own family and friends.
BA, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2000
MD, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 2005
Registrar: Neurosurgery (Cerebrovascular), Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland, 2010
Fellowship: Research, Orthopaedic Spinal Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 2011
Residency: Neurological Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 2012
Fellowship: Spinal Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 2013
Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital
St. Louis Children's Hospital
Ad hoc reviewer, Neurosurgery
Honors and Awards:
Tae Sun Park, M.D. Award for Excellence on the Neurosurgery Written Board Examination, 2010, 2011
Robert L. Grubb, Jr., M.D. Neurosurgical Resident Clinical Excellence Award, 2009
Alpha Omega Alpha Book Prize (“Awarded to a member of the graduating class who has performed outstandingly for the entire medical course”), Washington University School of Medicine Class of 2005
Recipient of full-tuition merit scholarship for final year at Washington University School of Medicine, 2004
James L. O’Leary Neuroscience Prize, Washington University School of Medicine, 2003
- Dorward IG, Lenke LG, Bridwell KH, O'leary PT, Stoker GE, Pahys JM, Kang MM, Sides BA, Koester LA. Transforaminal versus Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion in Long Deformity Constructs: a matched cohort analysis. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2013 Feb 25.
- Kang MM, Bridwell KH, Lenke LG, Cho SK, Zebala LP, Pahys JM, Dorward IG, Cho W, Baldus C. Proximal junctional kyphosis in primary adult deformity surgery: evaluation of 20 degrees as a critical angle. Neurosurgery 2013 Jun.
- Dorward IG, Buchowski JM, Stoker GE, Zebala LP. Posterior Cervical Fusion with Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2: Complications and Fusion Rate at Minimum Two-Year Follow-Up. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2013 Feb 1.
- Stoker GE, Lenke LG, Dorward IG. Posterior vertebral column resection for the treatment of dystrophic kyphosis associated with type-1 neurofibromatosis: a case report and review of the literature. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2012 Dec 15.
- Ray WZ, Murphy RK, Dorward IG, Lusis EA, Blackburn SL, Stewart T. Impact of lateral mass anatomic variation on ideal polyaxial screw head mobility: technical considerations. Br J Neurosurg 2012 Dec.
- Cho W, Lenke LG, Bridwell KH, Dorward IG, Shoda N, Baldus CR, Cho SK, Kang MM, Zebala LP, Pahys JM, Koester LA. Comparison of spinal deformity surgery in patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) versus controls. Spine (Phila Pa) 1976). 2012 Jul 15.
- Dorward IG, Wright NW. Seven years of experience with C2 translaminar screw fixation: Clinical series and review of the literature. Neurosurgery 2011 Jun.
- Dorward IG, Titus JB, Johnston JJ, Limbrick DD, Bertrand ME, Smyth MD. Extratemporal, nonlesional epilepsy in children: Postsurgical and neurocognitive outcomes. J Neurosurg: Pediatr. 2011 Feb.
- Dorward IG, Luo J, Perry A, Gutmann DH, Mansur DB, Rubin JB, Leonard JR. Postoperative imaging surveillance in pediatric pilocytic astrocytoma. J Neurosurg: Pediatr. 2010 Oct.
- Dorward IG, Lenke LG. Osteotomies in the posterior-only treatment of complex adult spinal deformity: a comparative review. Neurosurg Focus. 2010 Mar.
- Loy DN, Rich KM, Simpson J, Dorward I, Santanam L, Derdeyn CP. Time-of-flight magnetic resonance angiography imaging of a residual arteriovenous malformation nidus after Onyx embolization for stereotactic radiosurgery planning. Technical note. Neurosurg Focus. 2009 May.
- Desai KM, Diaz S, Dorward IG, Winslow ER, La Regina MC, Halpin V, Soper NJ. Histologic results 1 year after bioprosthetic repair of paraesophageal hernia in a canine model. Surg Endosc. 2006 Nov.
- Desai KM, Dorward IG, Minkes RK, Dillon PA. Blunt duodenal injuries in children. J Trauma. 2003 Apr.