Diversity and Inclusion
The Washington University Department of Neurosurgery is committed to diversity within our residency, including having residents and faculty composed of a representative diversity of race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic background and sexual orientation. We seek to continue to improve composition with residents from groups historically underrepresented in medicine to better reflect the diversity of our patients and community, improving the care we are able to provide to all of our patients.
Diversity and inclusion resources available to our residents and prospective students include:
- Residents attend Johnson & Johnson Institute’s Women In Spine Conference
- Residents attend Washington University Women in Surgery events
- Office of Diversity & Inclusion: https://diversity.med.wustl.edu/
- Academic Women’s Network: http://www.academicwomen39snetwork.wildapricot.org/
- Forum for Women in Medicine: http://ghs.wustl.edu/fwim.html
- OUTmed: https://internalmedicinediversity.wustl.edu/outmed/
Maternity and Paternity Leave Policies:
Paternity Leave: Residents are able to take up to 2 weeks of vacation for paternity leave. One week of leave is considered a “freebie.” The second week of leave is counted as a week of vacation.
Maternity leave: Residents are allowed 15 days of vacation and 15 days paid sick leave per year, for a total of 6 weeks of leave. Additional unpaid leave may be available with approval from the program director. The program will contact the ABNS to determine whether extended training is needed to meet the Board requirements.