S. Hassan Akbari, MD
Position: PGY 6
Hometown: St. Louis, MO
Medical School: Washington University in St. Louis
Undergraduate: Washington University in St. Louis
Clinical/Research Interests: Tumor, epilepsy, functional and pediatric neurosurgery
Hobbies: Reading, Sports (Blackhawks, Cubs, Bulls, Bears), movies/TV, video games, travel
2014-2015 - The Robert L. Grubb, Jr. M.D. Neurosurgical Resident Clinical Excellence Award
Publications (only published; not submitted):
- Ray WZ, Akbari SH, Shah L, Bisson EF. Correlation of Foraminal Area and Response to Cervical Nerve Root Injections. cureus.com
- Ravindra V, Akbari SH, et al. "Predicting blunt cerebrovascular injury in pediatric trauma: Validation of the "Utah Score.”” J Neurotrauma. 2017; 34(2):391-399.
- Controversies in Endoscopy: Open versus Endoscopic Repair of Craniosynostosis: Chapter
- Roland J, et al. “Resting State Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Surgical Planning in Pediatric Patients - A Preliminary Experience.” JNS Peds
- Roland J, et al. "Hydrocephalus presenting as idiopathic aqueductal stenosis subsequently developing obstructive tumor: 2 cases demonstrating the importance of serial imaging." JNS Peds
- Akbari SH, Reynolds MR, Moran CJ. “Clopidogrel in neurointerventional surgery: indications, complications, challenges, and methods for detection.” Clopidogrel: Pharmacology, Clinical Uses and Adverse Effects. Nova Publishers, 2013.
- Ravindra VM, Dewan MC, Akbari H, Bollo RJ, Limbrick D, Jea A, Naftel RP, Riva-Cambrin JK. “Management of Penetrating Cerebrovascular Injuries in Pediatric Trauma: A Retrospective Multicenter Study.” Neurosurgery. 2017. 81(3)473-80.
- Periventricular hyperintensity in children with hydrocephalus. Akbari SH, Limbrick DD Jr, McKinstry RC, Altaye M, Ragan DK, Yuan W, Mangano FT, Holland SK, Shimony JS. Pediatr Radiol. 2015 Jul;45(8):1189-97. doi: 10.1007/s00247-015-3298-8. Epub 2015 Mar 17.
- Response to letter to the editor for original manuscript, "Surgical management of complex multiloculated hydrocephalus in infants and children." Akbari SH, Limbrick DD. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015 Jun;31(6):835. doi: 10.1007/s00381-015-2711-9. Epub 2015 Apr 22.
- Surgical management of complex multiloculated hydrocephalus in infants and children. Akbari SH, Holekamp TF, Murphy TM, Mercer D, Leonard JR, Smyth MD, Park TS, Limbrick DD Jr. Childs Nerv Syst. 2015 Feb;31(2):243-9. doi: 10.1007/s00381-014-2596-z. Epub 2014 Nov 29.
- Hemorrhagic complications after prasugrel (Effient) therapy for vascular neurointerventional procedures. Akbari SH, Reynolds MR, Kadkhodayan Y, Cross DT 3rd, Moran CJ. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013 Jul;5(4):337-43. doi: 10.1136/neurintsurg-2012-010334. Epub 2012 May 3.
- Surgical management of symptomatic Chiari II malformation in infants and children. Akbari SH, Limbrick DD Jr, Kim DH, Narayan P, Leonard JR, Smyth MD, Park TS. Childs Nerv Syst. 2013 Feb 7. [Epub ahead of print]