Brian J. Dlouhy, MD
Position: Pediatric Neurosurgery Fellow
Hometown: Tampa, Florida
Residency: University of Iowa
Medical School: New York University School of Medicine, NY, NY
Undergraduate: University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
Clinical Interests: Epilepsy, Craniocervical junction, Brain tumors
Research Interests: Understanding cortical influence on cardiac function and breathing, mechanisms of sudden unexpected death in epilepsy (SUDEP), and the pathophysiology/genetics of craniocervical junction abnormalities.
Hobbies: Running, traveling, snowboarding
Publications (only published; not submitted):
- Dlouhy BJ, Awe O, Rao RC, Kirby PA, Hitchon PW. Autograft-derived spinal cord mass following olfactory mucosal cell transplantation in a spinal cord injury patient. Journal of neurosurgery. Spine. Jul 8 2014:1-5.
- Bijanki KR, Kovach CK, McCormick LM, Kawasaki H, Dlouhy BJ, et al. Case Report: Stimulation of the Right Amygdala Induces Transient Changes in Affective Bias. Brain stimulation. May 24 2014.
- Massey CA, Sowers LP, Dlouhy BJ, Richerson GB. Mechanisms of sudden unexpected death in epilepsy: the pathway to prevention. Nature reviews. Neurology. May 2014;10(5):271-282.
- Grossbach AJ, Dahdaleh NS, Abel TJ, Woods GD, Dlouhy BJ, Hitchon PW. Flexion-distraction injuries of the thoracolumbar spine: open fusion versus percutaneous pedicle screw fixation. Neurosurgical focus. Aug 2013;35(2):E2.
- Fogel AI, Dlouhy BJ, Wang C, et al. Role of membrane association and Atg14-dependent phosphorylation in beclin-1-mediated autophagy. Molecular and cellular biology. Sep 2013;33(18):3675-3688.
- Dahdaleh NS, Dlouhy BJ, Greenlee JD, Smoker WR, Hitchon PW. An algorithm for the management of posttraumatic cervical spondyloptosis. Journal of clinical neuroscience. Jul 2013;20(7):951-957.
- Dlouhy BJ, Dahdaleh NS, Howard MA, 3rd. Radiographic and intraoperative imaging of a hemisection of the spinal cord resulting in a pure Brown-Sequard syndrome: case report and review of the literature. Journal of neurosurgical sciences. Mar 2013;57(1):81-86.
- Belirgen M, Dlouhy BJ, Grossbach AJ, Torner JC, Hitchon PW. Surgical options in the treatment of subaxial cervical fractures: a retrospective cohort study. Clinical neurology and neurosurgery. Aug 2013;115(8):1420-1428
- Dahdaleh NS, Dlouhy BJ, Menezes AH. One-step fixation of atlantoaxial rotatory subluxation: technical note and report of three cases. World neurosurgery. Dec 2013;80(6):e391-395.
- Dlouhy BJ, Reddy A, Dahdaleh NS, Greenlee JD. Antibiotic impregnated catheter coverage of deep brain stimulation leads facilitates lead preservation after hardware infection. Journal of clinical neuroscience. Oct 2012;19(10):1369-1375.
- Dahdaleh NS, Dlouhy BJ, Viljoen SV, et al. Clinical and radiographic predictors of neurological outcome following posterior fossa decompression for spontaneous cerebellar hemorrhage. Journal of clinical neuroscience. Sep 2012;19(9):1236-1241.
- Kung DK, Abel TJ, Madhavan K, Dalyai R, Dlouhy BJ, et. al. Treatment of endovascular coil and stent migration using the merci retriever: report of three cases. Case reports in medicine. 2012;2012:242101.
- Dlouhy BJ, Greenlee JD. Progressive confusion, memory loss, and gait ataxia in an adult. JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association. May 23 2012;307(20):2195-2196.
- Magnotta VA, Heo HY, Dlouhy BJ, et al. Detecting activity-evoked pH changes in human brain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. May 22 2012;109(21):8270-8273.
- Dlouhy BJ, Madhavan K, Clinger JD, et al. Elevated body mass index and risk of postoperative CSF leak following transsphenoidal surgery. Journal of neurosurgery. Jun 2012;116(6):1311-1317.
- Dlouhy BJ, Viljoen SV, Kung DK, et al. Vagus nerve stimulation after lead revision. Neurosurgical focus. Mar 2012;32(3):E11.
- Dlouhy BJ, Capuano AW, Madhavan K, Torner JC, Greenlee JD. Preoperative third ventricular bowing as a predictor of endoscopic third ventriculostomy success. Journal of neurosurgery. Pediatrics. Feb 2012;9(2):182-190.
- Dahdaleh NS, Dlouhy BJ, Menezes AH. Application of neuromuscular blockade and intraoperative 3D imaging in the reduction of basilar invagination. Journal of neurosurgery. Pediatrics. Feb 2012;9(2):119-124.
- Dahdaleh NS, Dlouhy BJ, Kirby PA, Greenlee JD. Unusual "double density" colloid cysts. Journal of clinical neuroscience. Jan 14 2012.
- Vogel TW, Dlouhy BJ, Menezes AH. Craniovertebral junction abnormality in a case of Joubert syndrome. Child's nervous system. Jan 10 2012.
- Dahdaleh NS, Dlouhy BJ, Hitchon, PW. Percutaneous pedicle screw fixation for the treatment of thoracolumbar fractures. Part II. Surgical Technique. Contemporary Neurosurgery. 2011
- Dahdaleh NS, Dlouhy BJ, Hitchon, PW. Percutaneous pedicle screw fixation for the treatment of thoracolumbar fractures. Part I: Indications. Contemporary Neurosurgery. 2011
- Dlouhy BJ, Dahdaleh NS, Greenlee JD. Emerging technology in intracranial neuroendoscopy: application of the NICO Myriad. Neurosurgical focus. Apr 2011;30(4):E6.
- Dlouhy BJ, Menezes AH. Osteopetrosis with Chiari I malformation: presentation and surgical management. Journal of neurosurgery. Pediatrics. Apr 2011;7(4):369-374.
- Vogel TW, Dlouhy BJ, Howard MA, 3rd. Don't take the plunge: avoiding adverse events with cranial perforators. Journal of neurosurgery. Sep 2011;115(3):570-575.
- Madhavan K, Dlouhy BJ, Vogel TW, Policeni BA, Smoker WR, Hasan DM. Anomalous origins of the calcarine and parieto-occipital arteries. Journal of clinical neuroscience. Oct 2010;17(10):1334-1336.
- Vogel TW, Dlouhy BJ, Howard MA, 3rd. Use of confirmatory imaging studies to illustrate adequate treatment of cerebrospinal fluid leak in spontaneous intracranial hypotension. Journal of neurosurgery. Nov 2010;113(5):955-960.